Translate

Sunday 19 August 2012

Stage 17 - Love & Lust

Love & Lust

Before I begin my entry this week, I want to look at the definition of the following words: lust & love.

Lust

Oxford dictionary: ‘strong sexual desire’.

Urban dictionary: ‘often confused with love, it is purely physical attraction and has no lasting effect.’

Love

Oxford dictionary: ‘a strong feeling of affection’.

Urban dictionary: ‘the most spectacular, indescribable, deep euphoric feeling for someone.’

We are now 33 weeks into this year and I’m now starting to see certain things about dating and relationships. I’ve always believed that the best way to start a relationship is to have strong feelings for the person you are entering the relationship with and there should be butterflies in your stomach and you should always be filled with glee when you think about the other person. I was quite young when this idea entered my head. From what I remember I got it mainly from the media. Films, music videos, books, adverts and I always assumed that most relationships started this way. To be honest I didn’t think much about what it took to keep the romance going in a relationship and I didn’t realise until the past few years that romance and love are choices that people who experience it make. They are not God given rights. It doesn’t just happen automatically like lust. It takes time and conscious effort.

In the past few months I’ve listened to several videos and read a number of books and blogs, which I believe have really opened my eyes and heart to what love is. The verb ‘give’ in essence is the main signifier of love. When I first heard someone talking about how love is not about what you get from the other person, and those in relationships for what it offers them are simply in a contract and they’ve agreed with their spouse to do something in return for something else and are simply fulfilling the terms of the contract and not in love; I realised for the first time that my internal definition of love has been wrong all these years. Love is not selfish or self gratifying. I literally had a light bulb moment. It’s not that I haven’t come across this new definition of love (new to my spirit) before because I have. I listened to Destiny Child’s song, outro (thank you), where Michelle explains the characteristics of love. At the time, I didn’t see love as something I had control over. I thought it just happened naturally. I didn’t realise that I have to actively show love. I thought whoever I end up with will just love me for me without me making much effort.  

I think I’ve subconsciously subscribed to the love at first sight theory without realising it, because whenever I go on a date with a guy I never focus on what I should really be looking for in a potential life partner. I always hope to meet the guy and really like him to the point that I’d want to think about him all the time. Not until after watching the vlog: Dating and courtship - do you understand the real purpose of dating? did I realise what I should have been asking myself whilst dating.  This whole time I’ve been focused on my list which was more concerned with my wants. Not once did I ask myself whether I have or could develop genuine admiration and respect for any of these guys. Even the ones I liked, looking back now I can’t say I admired them. I was just on an emotional high (lust) and once the high cleared off I didn’t really have the respect that I have for some of my male friends for these guys. If things had gone my way whilst I was on an emotional high I would have probably found myself in a relationship and months later realised that I don’t even like the guy because I don’t admire who he is and how he chooses to live his life. Not to talk of wanting to love him. 

As much as that vlog has revolutionised my thinking of what to look for in a potential partner I can’t say that I will be giving up my list just yet. I now subscribe to the definition of love being about giving and it’s a choice that people make. But before I can give my all to a guy and choose to love him whole heartedly and unconditionally, I still need him to meet a certain standard. I’m not saying that if over time he loses some of the attributes on my list I will stop loving him, I’m just saying to begin with I need him to have certain qualities that I believe will make me respect him before developing long lasting respect and admiration for him. This is not to say that I don’t respect guys who don’t meet my criteria. I will have the type of life that I want by meeting a guy who meets my criteria and when we make a choice in life we take a number things into consideration and don’t blindly decide to do things and then deal with the consequences. My criteria is one of the things I will consider before choosing to love a guy. I may compromise on some things but not on some. For example I want a guy who is ambitious. Not completely for my sake but for his too. When you are ambitious you see possibilities and you ooze positivity, more so than those who lack ambition and people who have a positive approach to life tend to have happier lives. 

I realise that this love that I’m talking about is not going to be a walk in the park to fulfil but if I diligently focus on finding a guy who meets my criteria and is highly respectable and admirable in my eyes I’m sure I could develop love for him over time, even if I don’t have the intense rush of emotions at the start. The definitions of love above don’t mention attraction as a component to love. They mentioned affection and euphoric feeling but neither of these words translates to attraction.

Readers do you agree with my new understanding of love or do you think this way of thinking is unrealistic and if attraction is not there from the start it may never come? Should love be about attraction?

Thanks for reading My dating year – Stage 17.




13 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally.. You're so on point.. It took me some time to learn this lesson myself. I have also learnt it is quite necessary to draw up a kinda list of qualities you want in a partner, because once something is written down it helps you to have a focus..

    That butterfly feeling can be so misleading. Like you I used to see it as a criteria, but now I realize friendship with a person is important first and then also taking note of character, attitude etc.. and basically using your 'qualities of my future spouse' list as a guide. When all that is established, the butterfly feelings will just roll in unexpectedly over time...:)... I should think so..lol

    Funny, I just put up a new blog post that partly addresses this issue in a different way, anyways.. I'm glad your thoughts are running along the same line of mine..
    You could check out my blog.
    Btw, thanks for following my blog..And I'm following yours too as you must have noticed...:)

    www.pharmacistcumnovelist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. though I understand your disposition I would like to offer a mild correction. Love do happen unconsciously, to make a relationship work some sacrifices are to be made but those sacrifices are not compromises. The distinction between the two though feeble in appearance are greater in reality. Love can happen, in fact it always happen. I don't know about the butterflies in the stomach I guess that happens when you are hungry and not when in love. Nevertheless when in love its a funny and truly gleeful feeling.


    But you are true on the front that love is not about a rush of uncontrollable desires and intense and often over powering desires. Love is subtle, love is life a flower soft and fragile, tender and surreal. Wait long enough, look hard enough and it will happen like a spring to the winter it will come and bloom in all splendor.

    Rupertt Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Rupertt. I totally understand what you mean by love happening unconsciously and I agree too. It's just before I can get to that stage where love happens unconsciously whilst dating, I have to decide which one of my dates is most worthy of my time. Unless I want to be directed by lust, I don't see how love will happen if I don't consciously decide to wait long enough to see where things could lead with one of my dates. This conscious decision is partly what I mean by love being a choice.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rupertt,
      I could not agree with you more. You said everything I was thinking in the most beautiful way.

      Im soo glad youre learning from the experience, and im happy youre not dating just any guy anymore. With that said, I dont think love is a conscious decision. You waiting long enough to see how things work out with one of ur dates doesnt really have much to do with love. Thats you waiting to see if love comes....

      Relax and take your time....That Mr Right will come when you least expect it and dont be surprised if you fall for a man who doesnt fit even up to half of your criteria.

      Delete
  3. The is a quote from the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin that I have found really helpful in my own journey with love: "When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body. No... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away. Doesn't sound very exciting, does it? But it is!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful quote Andrea. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure I will come back to read it again several times.

      Delete
    2. I love that quote and i am so copying it and pasting in my room. Amazing

      @Jelony, it's been wonderful reading about your experiences. I've picked up more than a couple of things. I hope to read about the real deal soon xo

      Delete
    3. @Toinlicious it makes me happy to read that you've picked up some things from my blog because part of my reason for starting this blog on dating was so some people could learn from my experiences.

      I'm not sure if I will meet the guy of my dreams this year but I will surely continue to share my experience until the end of the year.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. very interesting to read about your new revelations on love. Love I can say is a very general thing, that is it is different for different people. It needs a lot of understandings, and idea-exchanging. In a relationship, love gradually evolves, yes I agree with you, that is true whether you are in any love-relationship, or in a marriage.

    I come from a place where love marriage is still a taboo. But it is slowly happening. Society is very reluctant to accept it. So I was making a post on that. you can read that in two days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really interesting that a lot of people still get married without being in love. I personally can't imagine getting married without loving the guy I'm getting married to. I can't wait to read your blog.

      Delete
  5. very and extremely interesting.. I talked about the definition of love in a post i wrote a year or two ago.. but you just inspired another post... I am following your blog.. Thanks for following mine...



    Diary Of A Shallow Black Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow and I can't wait to read the post that I've inspired. Thanks

      Delete
  6. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
    WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
    WHATS APP: +2347012841542

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete