Translate

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Stage 16

Rational or irrational?

I would like to start this entry by saying: it feels so nice not to have to go on so many dates anymore!!!!!!   Going on dates is also more enjoyable now. I went on a date over a week ago with a guy I met whilst walking home from a friend’s graduation party. We didn’t really do anything exciting but it was a nice date. We just grabbed a bite from a kebab shop, went to a very nice bar after and then he let me drive his Mercedes.  We also conveniently went to Asda, where I bought packs of bottled water before he dropped me home. Even though my past dates haven’t been terrifying I felt very relaxed on this date. Everything seemed to have happened naturally. I didn’t have to initiate the date as I did in the past or purposely influence him to ask me on a date by showing a little more interest than I actually had in him; nor did I say or do the things I knew he liked more for a desired effect.
I can’t say I was mesmerized by him when he stopped me. I even gave him the name I give to guys that I have no interest in when he asked for my name. I was ready to give him the second line: ‘I have a boyfriend’ too but decided against doing so after hearing him speak. He spoke and came across quite well. Since our date we’ve stayed in touch and he is making the effort to gain something out of meeting me. I’m just not sure what and I don’t see us going any further than just being friends.  This is where I pause to ask myself why? In my phone I have a picture of written words, stating: ‘I’M SINGLE UNTIL I FIND MY KIND, MATURE, CLEAN, RESPECTFUL, DIY, VERY AMBITIOUS, TALL, BETWEEN 27-35YR OLD, WELL PAID, GOD FEARING MAN’. From what I know about this guy I don’t think he is far from this description but yet I’m not convinced I can have a relationship with him.
Relationship Matchmaker, Paul Carrick Brunson would probably describe my idea of my perfect guy, based on what I’ve highlighted in the picture as somewhere between the shopping and investment mentality. He describes the shopping mentality as a focus on characteristics and the utility benefits of having a partner in one’s life. For example I want the guy who I plan to get with to be able to fix things around my house. The investment mentality on the other hand is to look at a potential partner’s values, their vision and to consider if they are in line with one’s own values and vision; does the person bring out the best in you and do they speak the same love language as you?  I believe my list is very much value focused, so much so that when I received: ‘I was gonna come pass yours and chill for a bit but if you are too busy another time’ from this new guy, I lowered my eyebrows because I don’t think it’s respectful to suggest coming to my home when we’ve only met up once.

Since I started this challenge in January I didn’t until now think properly about the next stage after dating. It’s almost as if I’ve been in this bubble, where I expect guys to treat me as a princess by taking me out to nice places and looking their best and saying all the right things and never ever looking at me as a piece of meat. I hate when guys look at me like that. Looking back on all my dates, I’ve not once thought of inviting a guy back home with me and whenever guys have asked or merely insinuated that they want to come to my house I’ve either been real irritated and figured out a way to get out of letting the guy into my home or I’ve been really defensive. I even had a full on argument with one guy on WhatsApp over this. I didn’t realise then that it isn’t irrational for a guy to expect to come to my house when he knows I have my own place. I just thought the guy I argued with was a dirty prick and I didn’t understand why he would think it’s ok to suggest coming back to my house after a date.

Now that this new guy has sent me that message, I find myself looking for a way to avoid ever inviting him to my house. On my way back from work sometime this week it dawned on me that there might be something wrong with me. I automatically assume that guys want sex when they ask if they can come to my house. Even though I may be wrong in thinking so, there are so many reasons why I may also be right. According to Steve Harvey, author of Act like a lady, think like a man, men are always calculating whether they can afford a lady, even before they step to her. They go as far as assessing the cost of transportation and every other cost they may incur in order to have sex with her. If they feel the cost of attaining sex from one particular lady is too much, they won’t bother. They’ll find another lady who they can sleep with more easily without having to dig into their savings.  As I have my own place, I can’t help but think some guys will try to exploit me for this reason. It’s cheaper for them to come to my house and chill than take me out as frequently as I would like to go out. I’m especially irritated when they ask right from the get go if I live with my parents or alone.  

When the guys I’ve been on dates with this year have asked to come to my house I’ve nearly always demonised them in my head.  I’ve been single for a while now and the last time I was in a relationship I was 20 years old. I thought differently to how I think now. I’ve experienced things and seen things which have made me less naive in some regards.  I feel like I now have a much better understanding of what it means to be in a relationship and I feel like when I get into one I’m going to give a lot more than I did in the past. So the idea of bringing a guy who I don’t see a future with into my house scares me and almost makes me short of breath. I almost feel like I’m putting my life on the line if I invite such a guy into my home.
Time will tell if I will react the same way when a guy who I’m very interested in asks the dreaded question.

Thanks for visiting My dating year – stage 16.
As always please leave comments and questions below and I’ll endeavour to reply as soon as possible.

12 comments:

  1. SO u believe at 23 you can meet a men to spend the rest of your life with?What was your relationship like before?You would never invite a guy to your house unless he is the one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could definitely meet the guy I want to spend the rest of my life with at 23. I know some people who met their partner at a younger age and decades later they are still together.

      In my past relationships I don't think I really understood what it meant to be a couple. I saw myself and acted a lot like an individual rather than one half of a pair. I was very focused on doing things on my own and didn't feel a way about leaving a place that I attended with my boyfriend on my own or with my friends.

      I didn't say I'll never invite a guy to my house unless he is the one. I just don't feel comfortable inviting a guy, who I don't consider to be a platonic friend or someone I can see myself getting involved with seriously.

      Delete
  2. sometimes you gotta understand that it is in a guy's DNA to think about sex; same way women think about...shoes for example. doesn't mean his decision to come to your place is solely for that. even if that were the case, you still have control, because you can ask him to leave.

    as a guy, i try to be spontaneous. and sometimes being spontaneous means sometimes just staying indoors, making a meal with her good movie nd popcorn. way i see it, its ,ore intimate, it is a somewhat unusual idea to have a guy co-create a meal with a friend, and its a chance just to bond and have laughs. am not rebutting the idea of going to a restaurant, or a comedy club, bar or cinema...its just another avenue to get to know a guy better. however he would not get that chance if he is blocked from it.

    inviting a guy over to ur place does not make u a suspect individual, it is if you sleep with the guys you invite over. if you have no interest in a guy then this topic would not have to be an issue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand what you are saying but I didn't realise until recently that I felt so strongly about this topic. I guess I need to dig deep within myself to find out why I think this way and decide where to go from there.

      Thanks for the insight into guys.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting and I totally get you as I have the same hangup about guys who I'm not really keen on or have a platonic friendship with coming to my house. For me its not that I feel they will make a pounce for it after I shut the door behind them, it's two things. One being, lack of familiarity. I don't know you that well to invite you into my personal space, some people may feel comfortable doing that but I don't! With this particular scenario when I've actually gone out on a date with someone and I'm really not feeling them like that, what makes you feel I would want to invite you into my home and entertain you when I have no interest in you? The second issue I have, is when a guy makes the suggestion. That to me screams cheap! I don't feel its appropriate for a man you are getting to know to ask to come round, a gentleman waits to be invited. My personal space is special to me and not a place I readily invite just anyone to. Inviting someone over is a very big step for me and I hate being made to feel like I have to (I hate being made to feel I have to do anything). One particular bad experience I had of this was a guy who was picking me up for a date, as soon as I entered his car said he was pressed to use the loo, and this particular guy had been badgering me to come into my home; on this occasion I reluctantly agreed that he could enter my house and use the toilet. On another occasion, picking me up for a second date, instead of calling to say he was downstairs, he just knocked on my door unannounced asking to use the toilet again, I frowned at this. Now the straw that broke the camel's back was when after the date he asked if he could use the toilet, again, to which I again said he could. Being so late I went into my bedroom to start preparing for bed, little did I know the guy after using the toilet had went into the living room, picked up the remote and was trying to figure out how to put the television on. I walked in on him astounded! How contrive! Needless to say, at this stage I was uber peeved. How forward can one be? This was a major, major turn off, added with the fact that I wasn't really feeling the guy in the first place. This was just one example but I've experienced guys feeling because I'm young, single and live alone they want to assume position of man of the house and get comfortable so early and I think that is so cringe! Its gotten to the stage when I'm asked that question I lie that I still live at home with my parents and I think it definately makes a difference. I'm not saying I won't let a man into my home but its only by invitation will that occur and that is a way of me letting a guy know that hey I like you; I feel comfortable with you; I want to share my space and time with you. Otherwise make sure you make a raincheck before you leave your house. RayRay

    ReplyDelete
  5. RayRay I could not stop laughing out loud whilst reading your comment. This guy thought he was smart. What a looser. You should have asked him why he was always leaving his house without using the loo or recommend that he gets his bladder checked by a doctor because he may have a problem that needs looking at.

    I'm so glad to hear that you feel the same way because I was starting to wonder whether I was being irrational in my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that his text was rude and way out of line! If some guy i had only just met and been on one date with, text me that I would REJECT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would just reject the message and not explain anything to him?

      Delete
  7. This was interesting. I agree with you when you commented (first one) to this anonymous person. Thanks for the follow! I'm following you back :)

    http://petitemini.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diana,

    Thanks for the follow:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
    WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
    WHATS APP: +2347012841542

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete