Translate

Thursday 18 October 2012

Stage 21 – Work & family - can they be balanced or does one have to give?


Hi Readers,
Sorry for the late post. This week has been very hectic for me. We had a very successful event at work and I’m still trying to recover from it.
I’ve really struggled to decide on a topic for this post but I have decided on one that’s currently on my mind; which isn’t directly related to dating but has some relation.
Things happen to us that sometimes make us feel like shutting the door on the world (this is not a suicidal comment, so please don’t read too much into it), but as a lot of you may know life goes on whether we like it or not. Since graduating from University I’ve gone through a few things that have made me feel quite low and I’ve come to learn that adversity is part of life and it teaches us about ourselves.
Whenever I find myself struggling with something and just before winter I often ask myself: what is my motivation? When I was younger I always thought I’d grow up to be a woman who is career driven, but I also thought I’d have a family. Lately I’ve been asking myself: what are my priorities and how are they ordered? As much as I like my job and I’m grateful for it, work is not my number one priority. At the moment I spend most of my time at work than anywhere else (this calculation does not include the time I spend sleeping). I know this is the norm for anyone who has a full time job and very successful professional men and women spend far more time than I at work or doing work. Whilst the men tend to have children, the women don’t and if they do they either had them when they were quite young or they hardly spend time with their children.
I don’t want to say I’m feeling broody, especially as I’m single, but I think about what I want for my children when I have them a lot these days. I think about the amount of time that I want to invest in them, so they’ll grow up to have certain values and the confidence that they can do whatever they put their mind to, regardless of what others have to say. In order to achieve this goal I consider being a mum as a top priority after my relationship with God, as that’s also something I’d like to invest a lot of time in. After reading Proverbs 31 and thinking about the qualities that I possess, I think I could be a great help mate for the guy I settle down with, so in order to have the type of family and marriage that I’d like, my husband also has to be a top priority. Ideally my aim is to have the following prioritised as shown below.
1.       God
2.       My husband
3.       My children
4.       My mum, sister, brother
5.       Work/Business
6.       Friends
7.       Education
8.       Extended family
9.       Community contribution
10.   Everything else
As shown above work is not a top priority at all. That is not to say I won’t give it my all whilst I’m there, it’s just that I care more about the things that I’ve placed before it. From what I know about big organisations and some medium and small companies they seem to expect a lot from their staff and they want employees to have passion for what they do. The more passion and time you put into a company, the more likely they are to reward you by promoting or giving you more benefits. As much as it’s great to be rewarded for ones hard work, how can I have the conducive relationship that I want with my husband, children and God if I’m too busy with work or spending most of my time there?
I know a lot of women manage to balance work and motherhood, which is good and encouraging but I’m just saying that I have given this topic a lot of thought lately and I’m really considering my options. Time will tell what I’ll decide to do when I meet the one and have children. I may surprise myself and discover that I have a lot of energy and I’m able to balance everything well. If that happens I can truly add myself to the list of extremely blessed people in this world.
Apologies if this is not the type of post you were hoping to read. I just wanted to share a different side to me.
Thanks for reading My dating year – stage 21

3 comments:

  1. I am a full time working mother of 2 boys 3 and 14 months. I was interested to see your list of priorities and the order you put them in.... being in the very situation you are currently thinking about my order goes like this....

    1. My Children
    2. My husband
    3. My immediate Family
    4. Work/Business
    5. Friends
    6. Everything else

    The reasons behind the order are that my children will come before anything, anyone and above all myself. As a mother i have a selfless unconditional love for my children and they are the upmost most important things in my life. I would give my life and last breath for them. I strongly believe that your children always come before your husband/partner, you brought them into this world, its your job to protect, guide, love and educate them and be a constant stability. Children need that! Husband, boyfriends, partners come and go but children are a constant in your life. Don't get me wrong i love my husband, we've been together 11 years married 5 but when my boys come along he was no longer my priority. Family is also important, without your immediate family around you for support and guidance when you are a working parent is HARD!

    I sence that your concerns about juggling work and family is connected to the dynamics of society... Women have come a long way, they are independant, they have careers, and they can also have a happy family life. They do not have to choose they can have best of both worlds just as i do. Yes its a choice, yes its extremely hard, yes its heartbreaking when i am away from my children. BUT on the flip side, i am providing my children with a roof over their heads, food on the table and clothes on their backs. Society says this is the job of the 'man' but ask yourself is it? My husband is a fantastic stay at home dad... I believe a family will work according to what works for them. To have a happy healthy family you need to have money, education, communication, love and support. All of which i have.

    I am up at 5:30am every day, i leave for work at 7am and i get home at 6:30pm (mon - fri).... I see the boys in the morning before i go to work and after i get home. I make a point of being there for their bed time routine (bath, reading/wind down time, hot drink, bed) every night before they sleep they have spent a few hours with me and i am the last person they see before they shut their eyes. The time i spend with my children is quality.... I never take a moment for granted. I'm not saying that i haven't questioned my decisions, i have gone down the guilt road, i have judged and critisised my working full time, and sometimes i hate the fact that i am away from my children. But that does NOT make me a bad mother, it maks me a mother who loves her children, who wants to guide them in life to grow up with morals, respect and to know you don't achieve anything without hard work and commitment. You can not measure your job as a mother - but you can see day in and day out if what you are doing as a mother is being achieved by assessing your children. Both mine are happy, healthy, bright and content. Our family unit is strong and rewarding. So to answer you concerens, you will do what is right for you, you will make choices along the way to which will work for you and some that will be wrong. You cannot plan, you cannot say whats going to happen. All you can do is be happy and healthy and live life to the ultimate, because life is too short... and you never know whats around the corner.... Mel Adcock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mel,

      Thanks for the long and insightful feedback. You sound like a super woman. You definitely deserve an award for being able to do so much. I guess when the time comes for me I'll be able to find a balance that works for me.

      Thanks

      Delete
  2. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
    WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
    WHATS APP: +2347012841542

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete